Monday, January 31, 2011

Taking Time to Say it Out Loud

I see you there, with your eyebrow cocked in my direction. What are you thinking? Are you admiring my features? Do you think I look beautiful right now?

If only your thoughts were displayed like words on a marquis. I like you. In fact, I love you. But, I have yet to decode you.

I'm sure you think of yourself as a simple man. You have simple needs, wants and desires. You express this to me over drinks and we laugh at life's idiosyncrasies. But as simple as you think you are, I find you to be quite complex. Because of this, I find it is now my eyebrow which is cocked at you. Perhaps now you're wondering what is in my head. Or perhaps you're simply admiring the shape my eyebrow has taken.

I've memorized your face, and I see it in my dreams. As I sleep, you take my hand and lead me through the empty streets... much like you once did on a hazy night not so many years ago. Your hand in mine, your face looks up at the sky and you wonder out loud how many stars must be in the universe... and how many of them might be dying as we speak. It's here that I think you're lovely, and if I weren't holding onto your hand I might trip and land head over heels.

Do you know, if you asked, I would marry you tomorrow? Do you know that you're the only person I've ever thought this of? Even though I've loved others, and I've been with other men since I've met you... since I fell for you... you are the only one I'd be willing to commit to? I know this. I don't know how I know this... but I know you're the kind of man I'd say yes to. I'd say yes to anything you wanted.

I know you wouldn't make my father's mistakes. I know you'd treat me right, and respect me, and love me. Because of this, it's a pity that we aren't together. I know you don't like to hear me say this, but not saying it doesn't make it any less true.

Having your friendship means so much to me. I may not be able to marry you, but I will love you forever. I know that you'll also love me forever. All I can say is, the man I marry will have to live up to the standard of man you've presented in my life. He will have to be smart, outgoing, respectful, and simple. He will also have to meet your approval... whether he knows it or not.

Thank you for letting me love you. Thank you for being one of the most spectacular persons I've ever encountered. Thank you for thinking of me, and letting me know you're doing so. Thank you for being my friend and understanding me better than I really understand myself. Really... just thank you.