Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Destiny and Destiny?


So I finally watched Julie and Julia all the way through with my mother the other day. I gotta tell you, I loved it. I can see why so many people loved it. I laughed and cried, like I do at any movie I love.

As I sat there, spell bound by the honesty of Julie (a wannabe foodie blogger who doesn't consider herself a writer because she's not published) reminded me why I love to blog. She was absolutely giddy with every comment she received. I totally know that feeling. It's the feeling that somebody is reading this. People are reading!

Haha... I get ahead of myself sometimes. I keep the counter up so I keep myself honest. Every time I post a new blog it goes up by a higher percentage (yes... my hamster wheel is squeaking away). I'm working on new ways to gain readership, and I'm liking the direction I'm going with this little project of mine.

I still feel like it doesn't have an exact direction. But that's a reflection of my life at this point, too. I feel like a wished upon eyelash floating through a blizzard. I can't see where I'm going, and I have no idea how to make this dream a reality... yet I drift and float hoping to land somewhere soft and warm.

In the meantime I'm looking for home-care type positions. I posted a profile on care.com, which is a website linking babysitters and caregivers with parents and people needing those types of services. It's something I have experience with, and it's something I could manage to schedule in my life. Maybe it'll give me something to write about.

That's an overwhelming fear when I think about it. What to write about? What to continue writing about? How to keep it interesting? Then I hear the words from my friend saying, "You know your blog is good. It's good because it's you and not you pretending to be somebody else to appeal to people you don't know."

So.. No matter what I do with this blog... I promise it will always be a little slice of me... Destiny, who has no idea what her destiny is.

2 comments:

  1. Because all I want is for you to be happy, and you say comments make you happy, I'm commenting. I don't know your destiny, but I know mine and I'm sure she will find hers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogging is tough. It feels like a thankless job (that you're not paid for) some days, and other days you're high on praise, seeing others commenting and linking back to your work. Super histrionic. Blogging can suck.

    You're on the right track, though. Lots of people get into a rut when they start blogging for other people and not for themselves. Trying to make people laugh and impress them and keep them coming back makes this a really hard thing to keep up with. I think as long as you keep enjoying it, updating it regularly, and keeping it genuine, it will continue to be rewarding. Don't allow it to become a task; nurture it and let it flower and wilt as it comes naturally.

    Also, a tip that's worked for me: when I'm really on a writing roll, I'll make 2 or 3 entries and then post-date them. That way, you have stuff you can go back to later, and at the very least, a post goes up on a day you might not be feeling inspired.

    You're doing great - just keep it moving. :)

    ReplyDelete