Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Happy Groundhog's Day!

I couldn't let Groundhog's Day pass by and not acknowledge it. As most people who know me know, it's my late grandfather's favorite holiday. The reason? It requires less fuss than any other holiday.

This year, I won't be waking up to view my shadow in my own burrow. This post is being post dated, because I'm spending a few days at a friend's house. So, as I write this, I have no idea what the gruondhog's prediction will be. Knowing the weatherman's prediction of wintery, blizzardy, icy shit storm... I can't imagine winter ending any sooner than it's supposed to. I predict that the ground hog will predict a much longer, much colder, much more miserable winter.

On Groundhog's day, I will have a second leg of a job interview to go to in the morning. Based on the prediction of snow and ice we're supposed to have, I will have a hell of a time to get my car defosted and actually getting to the interview. The job I'm interviewing for, however, is the kind of job that you have to be at, rain or shine, hot or cold. So, there really shouldn't be any excuse for me to miss the interview. In the real world, there are no snow days.

So as I prepare myself for a very important Groundhog's Day, I keep the memory of my grandfather in my heart. Even though it was his favorite day, he never viewed it as an excuse for a day off or a reason to slack off. I'll do whatever I have to do that day, I won't complain and I won't make a fuss out of anything. Because, that's the way my grandfather did things.

No comments:

Post a Comment